Antiviral eye drops for shingles
Shingles in the eye, also known as herpes zoster ophthalmicus or ophthalmic zoster, can cause several symptoms.
Some of these symptoms include:
- Blistering on the forehead, on the tip of the nose, on the upper eyelid, or around the eye, usually on only one side of the face
- Redness and swelling around the eyelid
- An itchy eye
- A painful and inflamed cornea (keratitis)
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty moving the eye (optic nerve palsy)
A list of Antiviral eye drops for shingles
Also read: Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome (DTS)
There are a few antiviral eye drops for shingles that can be used for treatment. Some of these include
- Ganciclovir (Zirgan) – Ganciclovir is an antiviral medication used to treat various viral infections, including those caused by herpes viruses. It may be prescribed as an eye drop to treat herpes zoster ophthalmicus, a complication of shingles affecting the eye.
- Trifluridine (Viroptic) – Trifluridine is another antiviral eye drop that may be prescribed for treating viral eye infections, including those caused by herpes viruses. Herpes is a virus that lives in the body quietly until an outbreak is triggered. Trifluridine is not a cure for the infection, but treatment of an outbreak can speed up the healing of the sores/swelling in the eye and lower the risk of complications (such as vision loss ).(ref)
- Acyclovir (Zovirax) – Although acyclovir is more commonly prescribed in oral or topical form for shingles, it may also be used as an eye drop in some cases to treat herpes zoster ophthalmicus.
- Valacyclovir (Valtrex) and famciclovir (Famvir) – These antiviral medications are generally prescribed in oral form for the treatment of shingles but may be used in combination with other treatments, such as eye drops or ointments, to manage eye-related complications.
Please note that these medications are prescription-only and should be used under the guidance of a healthcare professional. It is essential to follow your doctor’s advice and instructions for using these medications to ensure safe and effective treatment
Follow us in Facebook for more informative articles